Due to the severe weather forecast, all NYRR RUNCENTER events, NYRR Group Training sessions, and NYRR Striders sessions scheduled for Wednesday, March 21, have been cancelled.
We’re trying something new in 2018 with the beta-launch of New York Road Runners Virtual Racing Hosted on Strava. The new program gives you access to more great NYRR events, provides you with more motivation to challenge yourself, and helps you give back to the running community—no matter where you live.
The NYRR Virtual Racing series will include nine virtual races. Three events have launched—you can register for them below—and the rest will be announced in spring and summer 2018. Stay tuned!
We’ll take feedback we receive from virtual race participants via post-race surveys and use that information to help shape the future of NYRR Virtual Racing.
A virtual race is a race that can be run at your convenience during a specified period of time. Create your free Strava account, sign up for a race, and run or walk the distance of the race on a course you select wherever you are.
Proceeds support NYRR's mission to help and inspire people through running, and benefit NYRR’s youth and community programs.
Runners may choose to purchase this race for credit toward the NYRR Virtual 6 program. NYRR Virtual 6 program participants that register for and complete six (6) NYRR virtual races at the NYRR Virtual 6 program rate before December 31, 2018 will be eligible to receive one (1) non-complimentary entry to the 2019 Popular Brooklyn Half and one (1) Popular Brooklyn Half Virtual Training program to help them prepare for the race. Limit one (1) Popular Brooklyn Half entry and one (1) Popular Brooklyn Half Virtual Training program per person. The ability to register for the NYRR Virtual 6 Program is limited and available on a first come, first served basis. The NYRR Virtual 6 program will not be available to additional registrants once NYRR Virtual 6 registrant spaces have been exhausted. NYRR Virtual 6 program participants must be at least 18 years of age.
The 2018 NYRR Virtual Racing series will include a total of nine virtual races, with the additional races being announced this spring and summer. All races in the NYRR Virtual 6 Program will follow the same price structure.
The Popular Brooklyn Half, the largest half-marathon in the country, is an iconic 13.1-mile journey through the amazing borough of Brooklyn. The race starts near the Brooklyn Museum and ends at a finish line on the Coney Island boardwalk. Check back at a later date for more details on what to expect for the 2019 race.
Here’s the how-to for taking part in NYRR Virtual Racing Hosted on Strava:
2. Connect your My NYRR account to your Strava account.
3. After registration, you'll receive both a race receipt email and a confirmation details email. Read through for information on how to complete your race.
4. If you have any outstanding questions, see our FAQ page.
5. Print your race bib if you'd like to run with it–or share it with friends on social–through a link in your confirmation email.
6. On the race start date or anytime during the race window, get outside and run! Don’t forget to write your emergency contact info on the back of your race bib.
7. To track your run, start your GPS device or use the GPS feature in the Strava app. To ensure you meet the race’s goal distance, Strava recommends that you run a small amount (.5km/.3mi) over the distance during your activity.
8. When you finish, tag your run as a “Race” and upload it to Strava (if you forget to tag it, you can edit the activity later). You must upload your race within three days after the race end date in order for your race appear in the Strava Leaderboard (immediately) and the NYRR Race Results page (four days following the race end date).
Here’s how to mark your activity as a “Race” on mobile:
And on web:
9. View your results on the NYRR Race Results page and Strava Leaderboard.
10. If you wish, share your accomplishments using the hashtag #NYRRVirtualRacing in your tweets, Instagrams, and Facebook posts.
NYRR Virtual Resolution Run 5K
January 1-15, 2018
Get a healthy running start on the new year!
NYRR Virtual For the Kids 5K Benefiting Rising New York Road Runners
February 13-19, 2018
Help keep kids running!
NYRR Virtual NYC 10K
March 14-18, 2018
Be a part of the United Airlines NYC Half weekend fun!
Share your accomplishments using the hashtag #NYRRVirtualRacing in your tweets, Instagrams, and Facebook posts. Join the NYRR Virtual Racing Facebook group to connect with runners from all over the world who are participating in NYRR Virtual Racing.
Strava is the social network for athletes. Strava's website and mobile apps bring athletes together from all walks of life and inspire them to unlock their potential – both as individuals and as communities. Creating an account with Strava allows you to record and upload your runs, rides and other activities, connect your GPS devices, and create a home for your active life.
Stay tuned: More virtual races will be launching in spring and summer 2018.